This weeks readings were very interesting in that they are relevant to recent or somewhat recent news. Two articles, one favored torture in some cases, while the other article vastly opposed it. The article gave methods of torture such as truth serums and how they could infringe on rights of the accused. However the article did point out that if a 24-like situation were to rise such as the police needed to find a hostage in 20 minutes or else a bomb would blow them up, torture would be justified. The other article was vastly against torture and that it shouldn't be used in any case. They argued that torture only make a person say whatever will get the pain to stop, hence and innocent person could be convicted of triple murder because some cop said, "Confess, or I drip acid on your bare skin." However, the article did acknowledge the behind-closed-doors torture where if it is necessary then, torture away but don't tell anyone.
I am neutral in this argument. I believe that torture doesn't work but rather makes a person say or do whatever their torturer wants just to get the pain to stop. I also believe that if some sick SOB rapes and murders a little kid, then I believe they need the living hell beaten out of them. I also believe that torture to find someone is a just cause. For example, Liam Neeson's new movie, "Taken" he tortures an Albanian mobster in Paris after his daughter was kidnapped. He stabs the mobster with thick steel spikes and the electrocutes him until he gives up the location of his daughter. Obviously this is a movie but it demonstrates my point...
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You brought up a very interesting point that wasn’t discussed in class or the texts. It’s derived from the fact that you are neutral about the controversy on torture because though it may be effective in some cases it is not the way to solve all problems. The point I’m talking about is when you said that people will say whatever makes the pain go away. I’m surprised this point didn’t arise at all in either of the essays, especially the second one that opposed torture. That is the kind of argument that would persuade me against torture, though I could care less. It is quite true that people will say anything to create an end to the situation. I have only seen and heard of this on television shows and movies, such as your example, but those perspectives had originate from some sort of reality.
ReplyDelete