Thursday, January 15, 2009

Visual Argumentation

One of the easiest forms of arguments is visual. Visual arguments, obviously, use photos to express a point rather than to have to explain in detail what the writer wants us to see. The old saying goes, "One picture is worth a thousand words", and is it true. For example, if we catch Osama Bin Laden and put him on trial, we are not going to use fancy descriptive language to describe how he orchestrated the attacks of 9/11. Prosecuters are going to use visual evidence that would link him to the crime. Visual arguments are also used to lure us into buying something. For example, if Marboro wanted to sell cigarettes, they would get a photo of either a handsome jock or a good looking woman to say, "buy these, they won't bite."

I enjoyed the passage mainly because I believe I am a visual learner. The article was true in that, with the invention of this awesome thing called internet, we can access almost anything we want, Youtube is a site we all go to. If you want to see a random video of someone kicking themselves in the head, you can. Now you can even watch movies that "shouldn't" be out yet. I liked how the photos were used to show us history, such as the Katrina disaster. Hearing and seeing are two totally different things. The photo of the man being carried out of his house with an oxygen mask really made me feel bad for what happened...

1 comment:

  1. I am a visual learner but hat doesn’t mean that when it comes to arguing I would prefer an picture. The reason is that since pictures have no words for the most part you have to search every inch of the picture of clues and hints of what the picture is about or what is symbolic about it. But then again like you said a picture does bring out your personal perspective of the picture and you feeling toward what the picture is about. Even though the internet has helped us a lot in our daily lives it is also true that most people use it for entertainment, especially kids that are on YouTube all day, but who knows maybe later in the future there will be something better to keep them busy.

    ReplyDelete