Thursday, January 22, 2009

Terrorist and Race

The readings this week were about the definition of terrorism and the numbers of race. The first article was about the definition of what terrorism is. The US states terrorism as "Premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against non-combatant targets by subnational groups o clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience." However, different people and organizations have different definitions. The article also stated areas where terrorist attacks occur. The most occurring place was Latin America while the least occurring place was actually the Middle East. The other article was on the number of the races. The article stated that whites were slowly becoming the minority while Hispanics were becoming the majority. The article went on to say that right now the white population is at about 74.8%. This number is expected to decrease to 52.8%.

First off I agree with the first article on Terrorism. I agree with the given definition in that terrorism is carried out by groups but I also believe that terrorism doesn't have to be a group like Hamas or Hezbollah, it could be one person like Timothy McVay, who carry out attacks by themselves. The Article I also agree with. I believe that Hispanics are slowly becoming the majority. For example, I was up in Indiana last summer and until then Hispanics were "rare" up there. Last summer, I noticed more up there than I have ever seen. Just look around, its true Hispanics are on the rise...

2 comments:

  1. I do not agree with the second article, I really doubt that the USA will only be about 50% white in 2050. I do not see many whites moving to other country's, so there would have to be a huge Hispanic population coming into the country. I already think there is to many people, I cant imagine how many people would be here by then. Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think both Patrick and Brad made good points in the blog and response. There seem to be many Hispanics that have come into the country compared to that of the percentage that was here years ago. If you were to visit Miami and specifically Hialeah this would be apparent. By stating that there will be only 50% white people by 2050 really depends. It depends on how many people will classify themselves as white people or Hispanics. To be specific I mean we each probably know one person who, on all their paperwork, is classified as Hispanic. The problem with this is that they are white-skinned, speak only English, and were born in America. They are only “Hispanic” because their parents were derived from other countries. So both were right in their opinions because neither is really true or untrue. We have to wait in see in 41 years I suppose.

    ReplyDelete