Friday, March 20, 2009

Revising

Revising is one of the most, if not the most, key parts to any academic writing. Revision is the step between rough draft and final draft where the paper goes from being a P.O.S to a masterpiece. One of the biggest things to watch for during the revision stage is spelling, capitalization, etc, or basic grammar. Let face it, everyone makes mistakes and checking yourself is a good way to idiot-proof your writing. You also want to watch how you have structured your paper. Now is the perfect time where you have a chance to sit back and decide whether or not your paper is on-topic, follows the thesis to the letter, and has perfect flow. If not, now is the time to fix it. So sit back, take your time, even wait a few hours after writing your itinial draft to allow yourself to "forget" everything you have written so that you can have a chance to fix your errors.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that revising is a key ingredient for a great paper. When I first do a draft for a paper I like to not worry about anything and just get my ideas on a paper and when I revise I add what I feel that needs to be added and take out the extra stuff that should be taken out. Grammar is also one of the biggest issues I have, especially when I procrastinate and leave an essay for the last minute. Revising may be boring and time consuming but in the end it’s all worth it, and besides the hardest work is already set out for you, you just have to put things in the right order and check for grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revising is certainly a important element in writing a good paper. It is a important step that is often overlooked because people think they can get everything right the first time through. It is important to not only look at spelling and grammar but also look at sentence structure and improve on format to make your paper sound better. Make sure your thesis relates to your entire paper and is an eye catching point. Just make sure everything is well said and has a steady flow to your paper making everything interesting to the audience.

    ReplyDelete