Thursday, February 12, 2009

An Inconvient Truth: "Fatness"

The articles for the week were based on the issue of the obesity epidemic and if the government has the right to intervene. The first article acknowledged the obesity crisis but clearly stated the government has no right to interfere with what we Americans are shoveling into our mouths. They also said that most people falsely put the blame onto the fast food chains rather than on themselves. The other article was the exact opposite of the first. The article claimed that the obesity crisis is due to fast food chains failing to clear state what is in the food and who they target. The article claims that fast food chains are the number one cause for childhood obesity.

I tend to side with the first article on the issue of obesity. In my work at Walt Disney World, I can in fact confirm that most Americans are fatass, overwieght, P.O.S's. However, I don't believe that the government or anyone else has the right to tell you that you can help yourself to just one more KFC drumstick. I believe that most people are using the fast food companies as a scapegoat. Yeah, they don't clearly state what is in their food, but even if they did, how many of us would actually read the bloody labels. Very little, if any. People need to stop blaming others and realize that they themselves are to blame. At Disney, I have seen, on numerous occasions, children of ten years of age, riding in strollers because they are too fat and lazy to walk. If you are fat and are wondering why, just look into a mirror and you get your answer...

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the fact that people should stop blaming others for not being in shape or obese. No, it’s not the fault of McDonalds or any other fats food restaurant that so many people buy food from them, but al the same time I disagree with you on the fact that the government shouldn’t intervene. The reason is that the government should have more programs that get parents involved so that their children, the future of tomorrow, aren’t unhealthy and obese. I think that both people and the government should work together for a better eating lifestyle for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally on your side, I am sick and tired of people blaming other people and other things on there health and weight problems. In reality the only person responsible is yourself. It is not that difficult to stay in shape, all you need is a healthy diet and occasional exercise. Yes fast food can be unhealthy sometimes but as long as you eat fast food in moderation it will be alright for you. The outcome of obese people is solely to them be lazy. Now a days people are more interested playing video games or sitting on a computer then doing physical activity. To bad it isn't like the olden days were kids played sports and hung out with there friends until dusk. It is sad how kids have turned into over the last 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although i completely disagree with article 1, as opposed to your agreeing with it, I do completely agree with your outlook on article 2. How is it that americans can blame places like Mcdonalds that are just trying to make a living? Camel cigarettes, Smirnoff vodka and other unhealthy things that individuals tend to do are advertised so why should it be any different for a food chain trying to get its name out. It is sad that obesity is an issue and getting kids active again is probably one of the smarter ways to do so, not blaming the food chains.

    ReplyDelete